Can I complain to the Department of Insurance?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The insurance regulatory agencies of most states (usually called the “Department of Insurance” or similar name) have established procedures whereby consumers who believe they have been subjected to unfair claims handling can file a complaint against the offending insurance company. The complaint will be investigated to determine if the company acted properly and in a manner consistent with the state’s insurance laws, including the “Unfair Claims Practices” laws. In some cases, the investigation may cause an insurance company to reevaluate its handling and disposition of a claim. If a company is found to be in violation of the law, this process also may result in a fine or other penalty being imposed on the company by the Department of Insurance. This mechanism may be helpful in some cases, but often these agencies have limited resources or limited authority. If you do not get satisfaction from the regulator, you should consult an attorney as soon as possible.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption