Can I collect my mother’s assets?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I collect my mother’s assets?

My mom died 26 years ago and left behind 32 shares of stock which has been liquidated and now sits unclaimed money at the state treasury

Asked on November 18, 2016 under Estate Planning, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can collect your mother's unclaimed  assets.
Go online to your state's website, and look for unclaimed property.  That will give you the instructions on filing your claim. 
Although the instructions  may vary from state to state, they require the death certificate and proof of heirship which is a form you can obtain from your state.
Ignore correspondence you may receive from companies that will assist you in recovering unclaimed property and charge a percentage as their recovery fee. 
The procedure is very simple for collecting the unclaimed property and you can do it yourself without paying a company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption