Can I co-sign for a student loan for my niece even though I am currently in Chapter 13 bankruptcy repayment plan?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I co-sign for a student loan for my niece even though I am currently in Chapter 13 bankruptcy repayment plan?

I am currently in a Chapter 13 repayment plan (have been for a little over 4 years now). However, my niece is applying for college in the fall and needs a co-signer. Even though the loan would not need to be repaid until after graduation, can I co-sign on the loan for her?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Even though you are in a Chapter 13 reorganization bankruptcy there is nothing legally preventing you from co-signing the student loan that your niece needs for college. You need to realize that under federal law, a student loan debt cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption