Can I clear my juvenile record at 16?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I clear my juvenile record at 16?

I was caught shoplifting and got a misdemeanor citation class C. I’m 16 and have never been involved with the law in any way until now. This is my first ticket and I would like to know if there is any way I can clear my record. I’m still in school and I don’t want this to affect me while I’m in school.

Asked on August 12, 2011 Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are still a juvenile and when you are 18, your records could probably be sealed, especially if you are only charged and convicted of a misdemeanor class C shoplifting crime. It will most likely impact you for college if you don't handle it another way. Talk to a lawyer, go with your parents to talk to this lawyer and explore the options available to you in your state of Texas (which can often be the most difficult state to obtain dismissals). See if the alternative conviction is available (delayed conviction) so that if you keep out of trouble for let's say until you are 18 (age of majority) and do community service, pay restitution and whatever other creative activities your lawyer can think of, this matter can be dismissed entirely and be eligible to be expunged from your record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption