Can I claim emotional distress or something similar?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I claim emotional distress or something similar?

I am 17. I was involved in an incident on a flight after landing. A man claimed that I had assaulted someone with a suitcase. No air hostesses witnessed the incident, however, the man told the air hostesses what he believed happened and when I tried to exit the plane and I was not allowed and exits were blocked. I was made to sit on the plane for almost an hour until the police arrived who quickly came to the conclusion that no crime had been committed. I would like to know if the air

hostesses has the right to prevent me from exiting the plane despite not seeing the incident and if they did not, could I claim that it caused me emotional distress?

Asked on April 3, 2019 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Due to airline security concerns , the flight attendants could take reasonable measures to prevent you from leaving the plane until the police arrived and investigated the matter.
Although this was a bad experience for you, it would not constitute intentional infliction of emotional distress or negligent infliction of emotional distress, both of which require an extreme and outrageous act. The flight attendants acted reasonably under the circumstances, and their actions did not constitute an extreme and outrageous act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption