Can i change my status in US to study.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i change my status in US to study.

Hello i am the son of a diplomat from the Pakistan embassy in USA. I have been
living with my family in US as non residents for four years and i recently got my
ged and wanted to pursue college however my visa is about to end and wanted to
know if there was a way i could stay in US till i finish college? Thanks

Asked on January 28, 2017 under Immigration Law, Maryland


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would have to change your status from your current diplomatic visa to an international student visa.  The change of status may or may not be approved within the US (you have to try but know there is no guarantee).  If it is not, you will have to go abroad and consular process for a student visa which is also not a guarantee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption