Can I change my mind once I have signed a legal document?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I change my mind once I have signed a legal document?

If I sign my name under pressre releasing my interest to probate attorney can I change my mind before the 90 period is up?I was made verbal promises that where not kept.

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Estate Planning, Oregon


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Signing a document under duress or force or fraud is different from not receiving the benefit of a bargain.  It seems to me that you signed a document with the expectation that you were to receive something and you did not.  This amounts to a breach of contract.  I suggest that you hir a lawyer to sue the person you made the deal with for breach of contract.  Provide the lawyer with a copy of any and all documents that refer to your deal.  I you were also pressured into the deal, you can also include that claim in your lawsuit.  I suggest tht you do not waste time here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption