can I cash the check they sent for property damage without it affecting the time missed from work and medical claims

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I cash the check they sent for property damage without it affecting the time missed from work and medical claims

my husband was in a car accident in january and the insurance sent a check they
claim is only for property damage and can be cashed with out affecting the missed
time from work and medical claims. We want to be sure that cashing the check will
not end the claim for the whole thing as he is still out of work due to injuries
and still being medically treated

Asked on March 1, 2017 under Accident Law, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The insurance company is correct. 
The property damage claim is completely separate from the personal injury claim.
Property damage is usually settled very early in the case.
Therefore, cashing the property damage check will not affect the personal injury / wage loss claim, medical claims, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption