Can I cancel cell service for my husband during divorce proceedings?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I cancel cell service for my husband during divorce proceedings?

I work for a cell phone company and as a benefit I have a cell phone account under my name and my name only. I am in the process of divorce and I had to shut off my ex’s cell phone due to non payment on his part. I did not take his phone just cut off the service as it was jeopardizing my credit and credibility with my employer. My ex is telling me that I can’t do this during divorce proceedings, that I can get in trouble, is this true? I didn’t take the phone I cancelled the service so that the debt does not go any higher.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your actions seem reasonable.  There is no specific law on point in the California Family Code, but after separation each spouse becomes liable for their individual debts.  So, he started to become separately liable for his cell phone bill.  Since it was in your name, you could transfer the account to his name only or cancel the account entirely simply because it exposes you to liability for his (now separate) liability. 

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me.  If you reside or work in Ventura County I would love to represent you during your divorce proceedings to ensure you are protected and get the support you deserve.

Best of luck.

-Cameron Norris, Esq.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption