Can I cancel an apartment lease after signing but before moving into the actual unit?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I cancel an apartment lease after signing but before moving into the actual unit?

We signed the lease agreement over a week ago. The leasing agent has a “non-refundable” $500 check we used to reserve the unit. My girlfriend lost her job yesterday and we are scheduled to move-in next Friday. Without my girlfriend’s income, we will not be able to afford the apartment.

Asked on December 31, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a written lease agreement for the unit you are wriitng about but have not yet moved in and all that needs to be done concerning the rental you are writing about is to move in, you are obligated under the written lease you are writing about unfortunately.

If you cannot afford the rental at this point due to the loss of your girlfriend's job, I suggest that you speak with the leasing agent to see if he or she will sign a release that you are no longer obligated on the lease. If that is not an option, another suggestion would be for you to try and sublease the rental to some third party.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption