Can I bring my grandparents over to America?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I bring my grandparents over to America?

I am Diana and I am 18 and a US citizen. I want to bring my
grandparents from my mother’s side, over so we could take care of
them. Both are old and live in Syria. please tell me if I can still
bring them to USA or not?

Asked on November 26, 2016 under Immigration Law, Rhode Island


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you cannot do that.  You can petition for your mother and then she can petition for her parents once she is a US citizen.  Directly, you are not able to petition for grandparents.  If they have any other US citizen children in the US already, then can petition for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption