Can I break the lease if my roommate moves her boyfriend in?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break the lease if my roommate moves her boyfriend in?

I personally do not know him and he’s there when she isn’t. It makes me uncomfortable and he also has mail coming to our house and his name is on our mailbox.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your roommate is having her boyfriend move into the rental, you need to carefully read the written lease as to the number of allowed occupants that the landlord has allowed you to have. If the boyfriend is not allowed to reside in the unit for more than so many consecutive days, you need to speak with your roommate in that the landlord could deem the move in a violation of the written lease by her.

If your roommate plans on having her boyfriend move in despite your concerns, you need to contact your landlord about the situation. Possibly the landlord will intervene to assist you.

Most likely you will not be able to end your lease due to the boyfriend moving in with your landlord. However, your landlord may place the boyfriend on the lease in your place and let you end it with him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption