Can I break my apartment lease due to the A/C not working properly and my unit having a roach infestation?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break my apartment lease due to the A/C not working properly and my unit having a roach infestation?

My A/C has been out repeatedly for out about 5 weeks ago. I also have had roaches show up in the past 6 weeks. The exterminator said my building has a major infestation problem due to other tenants. They sprayed twice and they are still here.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease with your landlord concerning the unit you are renting, read its terms carefully in that the written document typically controls the duties and obligations owed by you to the landlord and vice versa unless precluded by local ordinance and/or state law.

Assuming that the lease does not have a written provision allowing the termination of it due to vermin infestation and/or air conditioning problems, you most likely have no grounds for ending your lease. However, you might have grounds for a reduction in your monthly rent.

I suggest speaking with your landlord about a posssible rent reduction due to the problems that you are dealing with at your rented unit is in order.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption