Can I break my apartment lease without paying ?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break my apartment lease without paying ?

My apartment has been broken into on three occasions and I’m a 26 year old single mom with a 8 month old baby. I feel very unsafe in my home . I want to break my lease without having to pay. I don’t feel like I should have too. Is that possible?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Probably not. Unless your landlord has failed to fix locks on doors and windows, I don't see how you can break your lease without running into an issue of being responsible for the remainder of the lease term.  If you live in an area that is prone to high crime, then my recommendation would be to wait out your lease term or help your landlord find a new tenant so you can move.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption