Can I become my grandmother’s POA without the consent of her current POA?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I become my grandmother’s POA without the consent of her current POA?

My grandmother became ill and her daughter, my aunt, was appointed POA. Since then, my grandmother has gotten better but was put in a convalescent home and her daughter does’t allow

her or anyone else in her home. She also is taking money from her and uses her car. My grandmother does not want confrontation between anybody because she is scared of what will happen. She doesn’t even know who her lawyer is and no longer knows if there is a Will. What can I do to help? Can I become her POA without my aunt’s permission?

Asked on January 16, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your grandmother is mentally compentent, she can appoint anyone she likes as per attorney-in-fact or agent (that's what you call the person given power by the POA), and she can either revoke her daughter's power or simply add you as an additional attorney-in-fact. Your grandmother would simply need to execute a new or revised POA giving you the power. 
Your grandmother could also, as stated, revoke her daughter's power if she chooses and if she is still mentally competent. 
But your grandmother would need to "step up" and do these things--if she is unwilling to confront her daugher but is mentally compentent, the law will not force her to act; mentally competent people can make their own decisions, even bad ones.
If your grandmother is no longer mentally competent (or you think she is not), and you feel that her daughter is taking advantage of her, you could potentially bring a legal action to have her declared incompetent, to have a legal guardian appointed, and to have her daughter's power revoked by the court for misusing it and violating her "fiduciary duty" (duty of honesty and trusthworthiness) to her mother. But this will not be an easy action to bring, especially when there is already a daughter with power to act for your grandmother; if you wish to consider this route, consult with an elder law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption