CanI be thrown out of my place of residence for no good reason?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be thrown out of my place of residence for no good reason?

I moved in with my grandma about a year ago and this is now my residence. Recently I had a female friend over to visit and my grandma had a fit because she says I can’t have a female in my room. She says it’s against her morals. She threatened to call the cops and have us both removed and there was and argument about it. In the end we left but I know this will be an issue again. She says that she will throw me out if I try to have a sexual relationship in my room because it’s her house. We have no contract about rent or anything; I just help out around the house. She’s 83 and I’m 35. What do I do?

Asked on October 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You didn't indicate whether or not you pay rent or some form of rent (i.e. utilities, etc). If you do you are a tenant even of there is no formal lease agreement; if not you will be considered to be a "licensee" (i.e. long term guest). In either event you have a month-to-month tenancy. So you cannot just be thrown out. However, your grandmother can serve you with a 30 day notice to vacate (she needs no reason); if you fail to see can have you legally evicted.

The fact is that while her behavior may seem outdated, remember she is good enough to give you a place to stay. So either go to your girlfriend's for sleepovers or respect your grandmother's wishes. You are a grown man, and you need to act like it in everyway and not just in the one way you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption