CanI be sued now thatI am an adult ifI didn’t pay a fine that an insurance company issued me as a minor?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be sued now thatI am an adult ifI didn’t pay a fine that an insurance company issued me as a minor?

I accidently shot a person’s car window with a BB gun as a minor. I paid restitution. Now all a sudden a few years later I am getting a bill for $250 for the window from the insurance company. They are threatening to sue me if I don’t pay, even though I have no money to pay it with.

Asked on August 3, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be sued by the insurance company for the car window that you damaged as a minor now that you are an adult. The issue is has the time period for the insurance company (that apparently paid to have the car window fixed) to bring a lawsuit passed under applicable statute of limitations (3 years in California)?

Another issue is whether or not you actually paid the owner of the car window the $250.00 or a member of your family did? You say you paid restitution. Was money paid to the car's owner for the damaged window by you or a family member? If so, then the insurance company under its "subrogation" claim against you should be asking the car's owner for the $250.00 because she received a double recovery, $250.00 plus a fixed car window.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption