Can I be sued for trademark infringement if a project that I’m running uses a similar name to a Korean TV show?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued for trademark infringement if a project that I’m running uses a similar name to a Korean TV show?

The project would be kickstarted but no one would make any money off of the funds raised. All funds would go towards the project.

Asked on September 17, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the name is confusingly similar to the Korean TV show, the show's name is protected by trademark, and the show notices what you are doing and objects to it, then yes, you can be sued for trademark infringement. It doesn't matter what you do with the proceeds or funds only the trademark owner has the right to use the mark/name, and that includes "confusingly similar" names or marks. There is  certainly an element of subjectivity to determining whether one name is similar enough to another to be problem factors include 1 how similar? 2 similar industry, market, product, services, or audience? 3 the trademarked name--how well known is it? The "stronger" the answer to those three questions, the more likely it is that infringement could be found.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption