Can I be sued for refusing to provide my car insurace card to someone who borrowed my car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued for refusing to provide my car insurace card to someone who borrowed my car?

A young lady borrowed my car. She was pulled over for not stopping soon enough at
a stoplight. She didn’t get a ticket for that, but she did get a 500 ticket
because she didn’t know where my car insurance card was. I refused to give her a
copy of the card, so she had to pay the 500. Can she sue me for the cost of the

Thanks so much.

Asked on March 8, 2018 under General Practice, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could be sued for this, because your intentional act exposed her to liability and caused her to incur a cost (the ticket): when our actions cost another person money, that person could sue (for example, in small claims court) to recover the money we cost them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption