Can I be sued for contributing to the dissolution of a marriage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued for contributing to the dissolution of a marriage?

My friend has been cheating on his wife, and I have known about it. I have, on one occasion, given him relationship advice via textconcerning the ‘other woman’. If his wife divorces him, and her lawyer sees my texts, can she sue me for contributing to the dissolution of her marriage? Can I be subpoenaed as a witness? I live 2 states away from them.

Asked on January 11, 2017 under Family Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot be sued for this. In a VERY small number of states, if you are the person the spouse is cheating with, you can be potentially sued for "alientation of affection" but that only applies to the person actually having the affair, not to a person "advising" the cheater or his/her partner--and you state doesn't even have an "alienation of affection" cause of action anymore. Therefore, there are no grounds to sue you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption