Can I be sued by debt buyer for debt that was paid off to the original creditor in a settlement agreement?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued by debt buyer for debt that was paid off to the original creditor in a settlement agreement?

I am being sued by a collection agency that bought my debt for a debt I paid in a settlement with original creditors. The only proof I have of this is my bank statements showing original creditor took 12 exact amount payments from my account. My mother can state that she heard the settlement agreement arrangements when it was arranged over the phone.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No you can not but you are going to have to do a lot of leg work here to help yourself.  You need to contact the original creditor as to the debt and payment.  Hound them.  Every day.  Ask to speao to supervisor after supervisor and then the supervisor of the supervisor.  You should have gotten a satisfaction after the last payment.  In the meantime you need to ask the collection agancy for validation of the debt ASAP - like today - by certified mail return receipt requested.  The bank statements are a good start.  Mom and an affidavit as well.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption