Can I be sued because I am on the title of my mom’s car?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued because I am on the title of my mom’s car?

I live in TN and my mom in FL. I am on the title of my mom’s car to make things simple for her estate. If her car (whether driven by her or someone else) is involved in an accident, can I be sued?

Asked on April 7, 2009 under Accident Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  And in most states you could be held liable as owners are responsible for accidents that are the result of an authorized driver's negligence or fault. 

If your parent has sufficient auto liability insurance (far more than the bare minimum, and perhaps an umbrella policy on top of that) as a practical matter the exposure is significantly reduced. 

Also, most states have procedures for quickly transferring a car without elaborate probate after a death -- especially where there are clear and binding instructions as to who should get it. You or she should go to the DMV and/or local probate court to see what the procedure would be in her. And she should also have an up-to-date Will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption