can i be sent to jail for a speeding ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i be sent to jail for a speeding ticket?

I received a speeding ticket and was told I can go to jail for this by the officer, Is this true?

Asked on April 23, 2019 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Not just for speeding, UNLESS it was in a roadwork "work zone," no: like most states, Georgia imposes fines and fees for speeding tickets. Those fines and fees, plus some surcharges that apply in some cases, can easily reach $500 - $1,000 for speeding greatly over the limit.
However, if you speed in a designated highway work zone, that is considered a misdemeanor (a crime) and not just a traffic infraction. For that, you could potentially get jail time, up (not likely, but possibly) 12 months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption