can i be made to split parents house sale

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i be made to split parents house sale

Our parents signed over their house to us 4 siblings 20 years ago. Both are in demensia homes now and house is empty. I put it on market last year but when buyer came along my brother said he didn’t want to sell, so it had to be taken off market as the 4 of us had to agree. He gave orders where I had to empty the house myself and put bills in my name and we now have extra 400 bill as we took it off the market. I am the only one who is unemployed and find it difficult to make ends meet let alone pay extra bills. He said he would agree for sale if we split the money 6 ways just in case we had to end up paying for mam and dads homes they are in. They have both been sectioned and we were told we would never have to pay. One of my sisters agrees with him and one agrees with me, just to get rid. Can sister who is on my side and I just open another account separately to put some of our share of money in as dont think we would be able to open account for mam and dad and we certainly don’t want to give in to him to put it in all 4 names as we don’t trust him.

Asked on May 23, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't be forced to split the proceeds more ways than there are owners, or to put aside money for nonowners (your parents) if you don't want to. If you and your siblings are at an impass and cannot jointly agree as to what to do, you (or you and the sister agreeing with you) could bring a legal action in county court traditionally called an action "for partition" (your state may have a different name for it) in which you seek and get a court order requiring that the home be sold and the proceeds, after paying costs of sale, any mortgages, and any other loans or liens, be divided among the owners. This--a forced sale--is the law's remedy when the owners of a property cannot agree as to what to do with it. If you want to consider this option, consult with a real estate attorney.
Voluntary agreements are better than litigation. You and your siblings should try to come to some compromise you are all comfortable with and trust. But if you can't, you can tell your siblings you will force a sale if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption