Can I be held responsible for damages my 18 year old son cause someone else vehicle?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held responsible for damages my 18 year old son cause someone else vehicle?

My son just got out of jail and slashed one of his friend and friend mom tires on their vehicle. A police report was filed and he was got. My son wasn’t living with me at the time of this acciendent. Do i have to pay for the damages to the vehicle. My son is not on my car insurance.

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Your son is 18 and living on his own?  This is his problem, not yours.  If he doesn't take care of it, he could very well end up back in jail.  I'm not a Texas attorney, but what I know of your state's law suggests to me that the courts in your state will not look to you for damages here.

I'm not a Texas attorney and the laws differ from one state to another, but I doubt that your car insurance would pay for this, even if your son were on the policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption