Can I be held responsible for back bills if my spouse canceled my health insurance coverage and Iwas not notified until 1 1/2 years later?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held responsible for back bills if my spouse canceled my health insurance coverage and Iwas not notified until 1 1/2 years later?

I separated from my husband 3 years ago. I have a PFA that prevents him from contacting me, but we both have attorneys. He chose to maintain my health insurance in lieu of being ordered to pay spousal support, and then removed me from the policy without telling me. I was not notified by the insurance company. They said they were only able to send him my copy of the letter to request a continuation of coverage. They continued to pay my claims for over 18 months, and have just now told me they are going to demand my doctors repay the benefits they received retroactive to the first of last year.

Asked on July 25, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have an attorney let he or she do their job and notify them of this matter.  If he agrees to maintain the coverage and did not in lieu of spousal support then he breached the agreement and you are going to have to go after him to make it right.  You are going to have to find out how much the bills amount to for reimbursement to the insurance company.  I a sure that they sent EOB's (explanation of benefit letters) to your husband's address.  Since the health information was regarding you ask them to fax you copies of the forms.  It should not be a HIPAA problem.  Once you have all the information you are going to have to determine how you want to proceed. And now you need to modify the agreement for spousal support.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption