Can I be forced to work with someone who I am uncomfortable with?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be forced to work with someone who I am uncomfortable with?

I work for a housekeeping company. The owner only has 2 employees and over works us. I’ve gotten into many arguments with her, so its safe to say we can not be in a room alone together without it turning ugly. I’ve put my 2 weeks notice and now she is forcing me to spend my last 2 weeks side by side her cleaning. I feel she is sabotaging me into quitting before the 2 week mark. I’ve expressed to her I am very uncomfortable being alone with her and it is now preventing me from completing my job in a safe comfortable manner. Is this allowed?

Asked on April 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless your treatment in some way violates the terms of an employment contract or union union agreement, you have no claim here. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of actionable discrimination), including who works with whom. This is known as "at will" employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption