Can I be forced to become a temp or leave at my current job?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be forced to become a temp or leave at my current job?

I have been working on-site at a company through a staffing agency. I was told this is a 2 year contract that renews every 6 months. I have been on the current assignment for the past 17 with no issues. However, the other day I was informed that the company I have been working for has selected a

Asked on February 28, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, unless you have a still-in-effect (unexpired) written employment contract which guarantees your job, they can do this. Without such a written contract, you are an employee at will and may be terminated at any time--or told you can only work through their temp agency. It does not matter what you were told unless you had a written contract, since only a written contract prevents employment from being employment at will. Without such a contract, since they could simply terminate you, they could also make you become a temp instead.
If you are fired from the preferred company, you would have to qualify for unemployment the same way you would as if you had changed to any other employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption