Can I be fired or terminated for no reason?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be fired or terminated for no reason?

I work for a high school and in the last review I got 5 months ago I was told I was doing good but to make some adjustments. I did what I was told. School then went on break for summer. Now school just started again and 3 days in I was called in to the office and told that I was being terminated, and because I was still on my 6 month probation they did not have to tell me why I was terminated. I never got a review, a write up, or anything. Is this legal and what should or could I do?

Asked on August 12, 2011 California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately unless you had an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary to the way your situation was handled, or your discharge is some way violated school employment policy, there really isn't anything that you can do. In an "at will" employment arrangement, an employer can hire or fire as it see fit, with or without notice. Your only other option for an legal claim is if some form of actionable discrimination was involved (although you did not indicate that to be the case).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption