Can I be fired for someone accussing me of threating to punch him in the face?

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be fired for someone accussing me of threating to punch him in the face?

I was suspended from my job at a major retailer, which I have been employed at for 20 years. A co-worker went to management with a claim I told him that I would punch him in the face. I did not say that to him. We had a arguement, not a heated one in my opinion. This employee is trying to get me fired. There is video of the whole incident, and it shows with no sound, that i was not showing any signs of being confortational in the video. There were another employee, that is his friend, that also wrote a statement about the incident. Is this fair that someone can make a claim agaiinst me?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


BP, Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

While it seems unfair that your employer of 20 years would suspend you over the incident, it can if you are an employee at will – which means that you don’t have a specific employment contract.  If you feel as though your employer is discriminating against you due to a protected class (race, gender, etc.), then you might want to seek the counsel of an employment law attorney.  However, if you’ve only been suspended, it might make sense to have the company’s Human Resources manager document the incident in your file in case this employee does something else vindictive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption