Can I be evicted for publicly videotaping people in the my apartment complex?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be evicted for publicly videotaping people in the my apartment complex?

My neighbor and I are in a legal battle involving ex parte orders of protection. Obviously not fun in itself. We were advised by our lawyer and a police officer to use recording equipment to capture evidence of our neighbor should he break the order. We have been videotaping our neighborhood walks and in some instances other residents in our complex but only in passing. These people complained to the apartment manager who promptly placed a notice on our door stating we were harassing people by videotaping them and that this practice must stop or evictions will occur. Is that legal?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is probably legal to order you to cease the videotaping and then to evict you if you do not. Most leases contain a provision requing tenans to not disturb the peace or the right of quiet enjoyment of their fellow tenants; even when the lease does not, the law allows eviction for disorderly conduct or distrurbing the right to quiet enjoyment. Videotaping other residents against their will can be a violation of their right to quiet enjoyment. Hence, you can be ordered to cease this action, then evicted you if you do not. The fact that you are in a dispute with one neigbor does not give you the right to violate the rights of other neighbors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption