Can I be discrimination based on my height

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be discrimination based on my height

Interviewed a with company and it went
great, did some mock activities that
I’d be doing on the job and had no
problem. I thought I got the job but I
was called by the HR representative who
set up the interview and was told that
they liked me as a cadet but that I was
to short for the job. So basically is
this consider discrimination. Also I
live in Oregon if that helps

Asked on April 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal to discriminate based on height. Essentially, all employment discrimination is legal except for that specifically made illegal by a statute, such as race, sex, religion, national origin, disabilitity, or age (over 40) based discrimination. Height is not protected by the law, however; you can be refused a job because you are too tall, too short, etc. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption