Can I be denied access to my doctor because of debtsthat Iowe to other clinics and hospitals?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be denied access to my doctor because of debtsthat Iowe to other clinics and hospitals?

I go to a clinic to see a doctor. Now they denied me access because of bills that I owe. They are for less than $400 but because it has been turned over to a collection agency (which also is handling my debts to the hospital and another clinic where I did therapy) it now amounts to more than $5000. I am currently unemployed and on medical assistance and cannot pay at this time.

Asked on November 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless the reason for you to see your treating physician is an emergency situation at the clinic that you are writing about that has denied access to you to see this doctor, the clinic can refuse to let you see him or her because of your outstanding debt.

I suggest that if you need medical attention you work out some monthly payment plan with the clinic that you owe money to so that the oblogations can be paid down and you can get the medical treatment that you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption