CanI be denied access to the house and my possessions beforemy husbandfiles for divorce?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be denied access to the house and my possessions beforemy husbandfiles for divorce?

He forbids me access and I rely on his schedule to pick up what he chooses to let me have at my daughter’s house. Can I be forced to pay health insurance premium or be dropped because from the policy before he files for divorce?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you own the home that your husband forbids you to enter and there is no retraining order preventing you from entering it, he cannot legally prevent you from being there.

He cannot force you to do anything absent a court order or a signed agreement by you and him. Given the circumstances that you are writing about and the uncertainties you seem to have about the situation you are in, I recommend that you consult with a family law attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption