Can I be demoted for notifying my supervisor that I was seeking other employment?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be demoted for notifying my supervisor that I was seeking other employment?

There is no employee handbook, so I thought I was being courteous to let them know that I would give sufficient notice.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, there is always the possibility that you can be demoted at work because you notified your supervisor that you were seeking other employement. Whether or not you will suffer a demotion as a result, only time will tell.

Whether or not you thought you were being courteous by telling your supervisor of the possibility of you taking a new job may not in retrospect have been a good thing to do if you end up being demoted or terminated without having a backup job lined up.

In the future, I would not do what you did. It is best to keep the best of plans secret until the plans come to fruition.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption