Can I be compensated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be compensated?

I bought a home 3 months ago; it was being sold with the assistance of a relocation company. The relocation company conducted an assessment of the home and found several defects and shared the results with me. The attic was inadequately ventilated and had mold. The support beams for the deck were rotten and unsafe as well as some minor problems. I asked for more information and was told the problem was fixed and given an estimate and completion of work statement from a contractor. When my home was inspected I asked my inspector about the conditions of the defects and he said it was fine. Trusting the professional, I closed on the house. Unfortunately, the roof was installed correctly but the attic is not ventilated at all. There are no vents anywhere and the sheathing and some rafters are completely rotten. The deck beams are also still rotten. I contacted the contractor and he claimed that he informed both the seller and seller’s agent that major repairs were needed to make the home safe. The seller refused and said that he was

Asked on June 21, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue those who lied to you about the repairs having been done or the condition of the home, whether that was the seller, the home relocation company, etc. based on fraud: that is, on materially misrepresenting known conditions or issues with the intention to induce you to purchase the home. You could sue for the cost to repair or remediate these issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption