Can I be charged with something without knowing?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged with something without knowing?

I was charged in VA with underage possession of alcohol. The officer wrote me a ticket and it says that is what I am being charged with. I just found out the court is trying to charge me with buying alcohol for someone under the age of 21. It does not say that on my ticket, so can they charge me with that without the officer even telling me that I was going to be charged for that crime?

Asked on August 6, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What happened in your situation was that law enforcement cited you and write you a ticket that you signed for under age possession of alcohol. The citation was then sent to the district attorney's office for review. The district attorney's office has the discretion to add additional charges against you.

If you found out that there are additional charges against you beyond what you initially signed on, then this is most likely what happened where the district attorney's office decided to add an additional charge on your offense date.

Given the fact that charges are being increased against you, you should consider retaining a criminal attorney to defend you at the upcoming court hearing.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption