Can I be charged with credit card fraud if the person knew I was using the card but changed their mind later?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged with credit card fraud if the person knew I was using the card but changed their mind later?

I had an arrangement with my boss, I only got paid $6 an hour because I was staying with him but I was given a credit card I was allowed to use for food and gas. Then 2 months later he changed his mind and told me that I owed him the money for the food and gas. I did not agree with hi but if he felt that way about it I was willing to pay him back. We worked out a payment plan, of $300 a month. After I sent him his first payment of $200 plus what was owed for my last check. Then he changed his mind again, stating he wanted all of the money now. If I did not comply that he would have me charged with credit fraud. Does he even have a case as I was using his card with his permission? Also, any dispute that he did have I was attempting to take care of, as agreed. Do I need to have a criminal or civil lawyer?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your boss does NOT have any legitimate case against you for fraud because you used the credit card with his consent.

Fraud is both civil and criminal.  If your boss sues you for fraud, you would then hire an attorney who handles civil litigation.  If criminal charges for fraud are filed against you, you would hire a criminal defense attorney.

Again, there is no legitimate claim of fraud and there is no need to hire an attorney unless your boss files a frivolous claim in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption