Can I be charged with attempted theft for something that my friend’s did?

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged with attempted theft for something that my friend’s did?

My 3 friends and I went to a gas station to pick up some cigarettes and 2 of them went inside; we stayed out in the car. Then 1 came back and I saw my other friend running out to the car with a case of beer. I didn’t do anything and he got caught. I had no idea that this was going to happen. I don’t want anything on my record. I’m freaking out about this.

Asked on April 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Most likely not. This issue will be one of conspiracy and intent. Did you conspire with your friend to steal the beer? Most likely not. Did you have an intent to steal the beer? Most likely not. Because of this, I doubt if the police will consider you an accomplice to his actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption