Can I be charged with a fraudulent check if I was never contacted by the company to cover it?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged with a fraudulent check if I was never contacted by the company to cover it?

Can I be charged with a fraudulent check if I was never contacted by the company that the check was not paid? The check was for $100 and then I am being charged $125 state fees. Is the right? I did not intentionally write a bad check and I was contacted to let me know that I still owed the money. This doesn’t seem right .

Asked on April 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible based upon the fact pattern that you have written about that someone can accuse you of check fraud. Accusing and proving such in a civil or criminal arena are two different matters.

If your check failed to clear due to insufficient funds, i suggest that you simply send a new check to your creditor for the face amount of what is owed and then see what happens. The $125 extra that you are being assesed is the penalty per statute for the bad check.

I suggest that you pay what is owed sooner rather than later so that matters do not get out of hand regarding claims against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption