CanI be charged at a later date for drugs found on me if Iagreed to become a informant?

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be charged at a later date for drugs found on me if Iagreed to become a informant?

Asked on February 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Of course you can be charged for drugs at a later date.

1) The prosecutor is not obligated to honor the police's deal with you.

2) The police or prosecutor, if either made a deal with you, can change it's mind later.

3) The courts sometimes throw out deals made by the police or prosecutors.

Usually, the deal is honored; but the point is, it doesn't have to be. You are at their mercy. Only if you actually receive immunity in exchange for testimony is there anything with binding legal effect. But just acting an informant? No, no matter who valuable that role may be, the authorities do have the ability to do you dirty if they chose to--which also means they can keep you dangling and dancing to their tune for a long time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption