Can I be charged $2500 more than the estimate if the first problem was never fixed from my auto mechanic?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged $2500 more than the estimate if the first problem was never fixed from my auto mechanic?

Timing chain was to be fixed on my car for $1600. Got call they had wrong timing chain and would need another. Then got call the engine was bad and needed a used one for $2500.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under General Practice, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can only be charged with respect to car repairs under the laws of all states in this country with what you agreed to either orally or in writing. From what you have written about, you have a legitimate complaint about being charged for two timing chains when the issue was the need for a new engine. I suggest that you discuss the issue with the owner of the repair shop.

If it does not get resolved to your satisfaction, your recourse is to make a complaint with your state's bureau of automotive repairs and/or consult with an attorney who practices in the area of automotive law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption