Can I be Banned from my girlfriend’s workplace for no reason?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be Banned from my girlfriend’s workplace for no reason?

I am not allowed to drop my girlfriend off at work; I am banned from her store for no reason. Her manager has a personal problem with me and I can’t even go in the store to buy anything or be on the property to drop her off. We are a gay couple.

Asked on June 22, 2016 under Personal Injury, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may be banned from her workplace because the manager has a personal problem with you: even an otherwise public store has the right to ban individuals whom a manager feels (even without proof) are disruptive or detrimental in some way, such as friend or girlfriend of an employee. There are states where it would be illegal to ban a person if one of the reasons for the ban is sexual orientation, but, unfortunately, your state is not one of them, so the manager may ban you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption