Can I be arrested fornot paying back an on-line payday loan?

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be arrested fornot paying back an on-line payday loan?

About a year or so ago i got an on-line payday loan. I wrote a post dated check, but due to financial issues, I never paid back the loan. I just got a call from an attorney’s office claiming there was a judgement against me for various things, including check fraud. Since I didn’t have $70 to pay back the loan within 2 hours, they said they would file suit and I would be arrested.

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think the collector was being abusive and threatening you. True, they can file suit and if so you will be sued. If they have a judgment against you then they will attach your assets. It's EXTRAORDINARILY rare that someone can start a law suit by a civil arrest or use civil arrest to collect a judgment.

While they can sometimes try to refer matters to the local prosecutor, issuing a post-dated check is rarely check fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption