CanI be arrested for a payday loanthat Iobtained on-line?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be arrested for a payday loanthat Iobtained on-line?

I am being called by a company that deals with fraudulent checks. They are saying they are going to turn this over to the county if I don’t pay. I am willing to repay but I cannot pay the amount they are requesting.

Asked on July 28, 2011 South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should consult an attorney about the unfair debt collection practices that the "pay day "company is utilizing against you by threatening a criminal action as to you to obtain leverage in a civil dispute. Many states outlaw unfair business practices as is being utilized against you.

You cannot be arrested for being late on a loan owed that you obtained online. You should make voluntary payments that you can afford to the "pay day" company to reduce the debt you owe. Make sure you get a receipt for payments made. Be careful about making payments on your checkin account. The "pay day" company can keep copies of your checks for a possible levy on the account for a garnishment if it decides to sue you and obtains a money judgment.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption