Can I be arrested because a civilian accusing me of a crime?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be arrested because a civilian accusing me of a crime?

So apparently 2 of my friends stole some dirt bikes . And because I used to associate with them I’m being accused of stealing them too . I’m currently on probation for a year already and don’t want to get into any more trouble . What do I do ? Can I be arrested ? The cops keep telling the one friend they want to talk to me but have not called me . I’m afraid of my record going against me and getting charged for something I didn’t do

Asked on March 31, 2016 under Criminal Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be arrested, charged, and potentially even convicted based on witness testimony stating that you committed a crime; there is no legal requirement for physical evidence and/or that a law enforcement officer witnessed the crime, but rather, "civilian" testimony, if sufficiently credible (believable and accurate-seeming) can be enough.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption