can i be arrested at the airport for unpaid traffic tickets?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i be arrested at the airport for unpaid traffic tickets?

i wanna fly from miami to san diego. i have open speeding tickets in california so
probably there’s a traffic warrant out for me and i’m wondering if they will arrest
me at the airport or make me pay the fines?

Asked on January 16, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Most airlines do not check for outstanding criminal warrants for domestic flights(international travel is different). The fact is that it would be too costly and time consuming to do so. That having been said, your name may be checked regarding a Homeland Security "no fly list" for those deemed to be a risk or threat, however otherwise you will probalbly be fine. That having been said, you really need to get this warrant cleared up as warrants never expire and can cause problems in other ways.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption