Can I avoid a criminal arraignment for a false alarm citation by just paying the fines?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I avoid a criminal arraignment for a false alarm citation by just paying the fines?

I received 2 false alarm citations. I submitted paperwork to contest the violations and recently received a criminal arraignment notice and a date for court. Can I just pay the fee and avoid court? Why would I receive a criminal arrangement notice when contesting a simple false alarm for my condo?

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You cannot simply avoid the criminal arraignment for the charges against you. Rather you are required to appear in court at the proceeding where the criminal charges are read to you as part of your Constitutional Rights and you then make a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest.

Given the fact that the proceeding is a criminal matter where a fine, jail, or both could be imposed against you as part of your sentence if you plea guilty or are convicted of the charges, I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney well before your arraignment about the situation you are in and the best way to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption