Can I ask for alimony?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I ask for alimony?

I am planning on filing divorce papers on my husband. I am wondering if I can ask for alimony if I cheated on him 20 years ago while

Asked on January 24, 2018 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can still ask for alimony. Alimony is based primarily on the economics of the marriage--e.g. who contributed how much? who was the primary breadwinner? did one spouse give up a possible career to support his/her spouse's carreer by caring for children and maintaining the house?--and the spouses' respective salary/wages and earning potential. To oversimplify, the spouse who provided more support during marriage typically needs to continue supporting, at least for some period of time, the other spouse; the spouse who earns more generally pays alimony to the one who earns less. If you should be paid alimony under these criteria, you will probably get it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption