Can I, as a TN notary, notarize my brothers business affidavits?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I, as a TN notary, notarize my brothers business affidavits?

I am a Tennessee Notary. Can I notarize my brother’s
plumbing affidavits when he repairs a customers leaking
plumbing fixture? The purpose of the affidavit is for the
customer to seek reimbursement from the local water
department. My brother owns the plumbing company. I have
no part in the company, do not work there and have no
financial interest in the company.

Asked on September 29, 2018 under Business Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may notarize a relative's (or friend's, or business associate's, etc.) document(s); there is no law against doing so and it is not seen as a conflict of interest. Remember: notarizing just means you have confirmed the identify of the person signing: clealy you can do that for your brother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption